Hi so i love your blog it is so full of summer and paradise. So beacsue your blog is summer i was wondering if you had any tips on being ready for bikini season because i am overweight but i want to lose it. Thanks<3
Aw thank you, you are too sweet. First I’d like to say that you’re beautiful no matter how much you weigh. It’s the inside that counts. But I understand how that feels because I’ve had a weight problem my entire life, too. Life just doesn’t feel as enjoyable if you’re not comfortable in your own skin, and sometimes feeling comfortable means losing weight and slimming down in a healthy manner. So to all my followers, if you’re trying to tone up a bit before summer arrives, here are a few tips and pointers!
1) Try going vegan, or vegetarian. This doesn’t mean resort to junk food and sweets! What I’m trying to say is that our bodies do not need meat. You can trim a lot of fat and sodium from your diet by giving up meats. You can get the necessary vitamins and nutrients from fruits, veggies, lentils, beans, and tofu. It may sound unappealing if you’re not used to eating this way, but once you get used to it, you will notice a tremendous difference in how you feel and how you look! I just recently tried the vegan diet and lost a couple pounds in the span of two weeks! I’m a huge advocate of removing junk food and red meat from your diet and focusing more on whole grains, veggies, fruit, beans, soy, lentils, tofu, and—if you don’t want to be completely vegan—fish with omega-3 fatty acids (like salmon). Google vegan/vegetarian diets for more info.
2) Exercise for at least 30 minutes every day. I’ve tried numerous workout programs and the best I’ve encountered was P90x. I cannot say enough good things about their workout routines. It had me in the best shape I’ve ever been! I know not everyone can access P90x, so I’ll also suggest using google to find workout routines. Seventeen magazine (or the website) always has good ones too. Youtube has some fantastic ones, also! The internet is there for you to utilize during this process of trying to get in shape. Worse comes to worse, you can always exercise with the classics, like running, jumping jacks, sit-ups, curl-ups, push-ups, pull-ups, leg lifts, etc. Just try to stay active!
3. Drink plenty of water, at least 8 cups a day. I think water is one of the most underrated dietary supplements. The benefits of water are practically endless- it cleanses your body of toxins, makes your hair shinier, keeps you hydrated, helps you feel fuller, clears your skin up and makes you look more radient. Try drinking a full glass of water every time before you eat. You’ll eat less because you’ll feel fuller quicker! :)
4. Cut your portions in half. If you usually go back for seconds, stop. Your body doesn’t need much to feel full, and you should never feel “full” anyway. You should eat just enough to get you through the next couple of hours… which leads me to the next tip:
5. Eat 5 small meals a day, rather than 3 large meals. I know, it’s completely different than what we’ve been raised doing. But IT WORKS! I lost 35 pounds in a year getting into a habit of eating smaller meals but more often throughout the day— about every 2-3 hours. One of the easiest ways to start doing this is to cut your existing meals in half. Don’t eat an entire sandwich for lunch, cut it in half and save the second half for dinner. Also, eat more healthy snacks throughout the day, like mixed nuts, fruits (or dried fruit), small protein bars or shakes, etc.
6. Don’t eat within 3 hours of going to bed. If you get really hungry before going to sleep, drink water or tea, this will help make you feel full again.
7. Stop weighing yourself. Tell yourself you’re only allowed to weigh yourself once every two weeks. If you can’t resist, make it once a week. Make sure you weigh yourself on the same day of the week and at the same time of day, preferably in the morning. Your weight shouldn’t matter above how you feel. There’s so many factors that go into how much you “should” weigh- your height, build, muscle mass, etc. So instead take pictures of yourself in your bathing suit every so often and compare those!
Hope I helped! Remember, it’s not what’s on the outside that counts, but what’s in the heart. <3